Once you have found a scenario you’re interested in downloading and installing in the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, follow the below instructions. These assume you are on the computer where the game is installed.
Log In and Download the Scenario
- Ensure you’re logged on to AgeofEmpires.com.
- If you are not logged on, log on using your MSA/XBL login information.
- If you do not have account, create one now and log on (you can create an Xbox Live account for free at xbox.com).
- Navigate to the Detail page for the scenario you wish to download, and click on the Download button. A file named aoe_[scenario name].zip will be downloaded to your default or selected download folder.
- If the download does not start, check to be sure your browser is not blocking pop-ups on the site.
Unzip the Scenario
- Open the location where you saved the .zip file in Windows Explorer.
- Most browsers have an “open folder” or “open file location” in their download window you can click on to open.
- Unzip the file(s) from the .zip file using Windows Explorer (instructions follow) or other unzipping application.
- Right click on the file and select Open, or Open with Windows Explorer.
- In the menu bar, click the Extract option and then Extract All.
- Specify the location to extract the files.
- To extract directly to the game’s scenario folder, find the location following steps 5-7 below.
- Click Extract.
- Leave the Windows Explorer window with the scenario file(s) open.
Copy Unzipped Scenario to Game’s Scenarios Folder
- Start Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.
- In the game’s menu, click on Options, then Open Game Folders.
- In the new Windows Explorer window, open the Game Content, then Campaign folders.
- Switch to the Windows Explorer window from step 4e and copy the files.
- Switch back to the Windows Explorer window opened in step 7 and paste the files.
- The scenario files are now ready for use in the game.