Age III DE Accessibility Features
Age III DE accessibility options
We want each of our players around the world to experience Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition in a way that works best for them. At World’s Edge, we embrace Xbox’s philosophy that gaming is for everyone and should be inclusive and accessible.
Go to Options > Accessibility to get to the menu.
In Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition, you can find the following options:
- Colors – The Colors panel allows players to fully customize the color for each player and each team to ensure maximum readability making them easier to see and understand.
- Enable Friend / Foe Outlines – Enabling this option will display a light or dark outline on each of the individual player’s units and buildings. A dark outline will appear for the player and their teammates, while a light outline will appear for any enemy players.
- Enable Pattern Overly – Enabling this option will display a pattern on each of the individual player’s units and buildings. The pattern is different for each of the eight players to give a distinct identifier for assisted visibility.
- Minimap Contrast – This slider sets the background contrast for the minimap from the default light setting to a darker setting for a more contrasted view
- HUD Alert – Enabling this option will allow the screen to flash when you or your teammate’s units or buildings are under attack. The game has a similar audio alert, this is a visual component to convey the same information.
- The World’s Edge team has made sure that the menus and UI of the Age of Empires titles support narration throughout our games. We have several options to choose from to allow the experience to be customized to individual preferences.
- Menus – Enabling this option allows the Narrator to read out menu text
- In Game – Enabling this option allows the Narrator to read out the text related to the in game UI
- Menus – Tooltips – Enabling this option allows the Narrator to read out tooltips related to the menu text
- In Game – Tooltips – Enabling this option allows the Narrator to read out tooltips related to the in game UI text
- Chat – Enabling this option allows the Narrator to read out any text chat sent via the in game text chat system
The narrator is supported on the following platforms:
WinStore (Windows 10)
Steam (Windows 10)
How to enable Narrator on WinStore
To enable narrator on Windows 10 download and open the Xbox Console Companion app from the Microsoft Store. Once open, navigate to the Settings area and enable “Let games read to me”, which turns on all the Narrator options by default.
How to enable Narrator on Steam
To enable narrator on Steam, launch the game, navigate to the Accessibility menu, and choose which of the individual Narrator options you would like to enable.