Starting tomorrow, you’ll be able to download the first Age of Empires IV patch of 2022, and we thought you might appreciate an early view of the patch list ahead of the main event!
Patch 10257 focuses on balance changes and bug fixes across a variety of civilizations with the goal of addressing some of the most critical issues faced by each. As seen in the full list of patch notes below, we’re addressing player feedback related to the Mongol civilization and Fire Lancer unit feeling overpowered, as well as resolving several Delhi Sultanate bugs to ensure the civilization’s distinct mechanics shine through.
NOTE: Upon updating to this patch, you will no longer be able to utilize replays from previous updates. At times, saves will also be impacted, though we’ve taken additional steps to ensure your campaign saves are not impacted by this particular update. Skirmish saves from the previous patch are impacted and will no longer be accessible after you update.
Developer Discussion Stream
Join us on Twitch at 3:00PM PT on Tuesday, January 18th for a special pre-patch stream as members of the Community and Balance teams will be discussing the upcoming changes. Tune in at twitch.tv/ageofempires
January Patch – Notes
- The rate that we widen the acceptable pool of appropriately skilled players to match you with has been increased by 67%. We expect this to lead to faster match-ups without proportionally compromising match-up quality.
Developer note: We’ve been keeping a close eye on how long it takes to find a game in Quick Match and the quality of match-ups across the ELO spectrum. One of our findings has been that our matchmaking system can be a bit too picky, such that we often take a few minutes before deciding to match you with another similarly skilled player. This change increases the rate that we widen the pool of similarly skilled players (determined by ELO) so that you will match with that player or another with an acceptable ELO delta sooner.
- Scouts now move 35% slower while carrying an animal carcass
Developer Note: Scouts are fast and have lots of hit points so they are difficult to stop in the Feudal Age. We are increasing the counter play options available vs the Professional Scouts technology by slowing down scouts so they can be chased and killed while carrying carcasses.
- Horseman II-IV ranged armor is increased from 1 to 2 (Updated to clarify previous wording)
Developer Note: Age IV focuses on hard unit counters to encourage mixed army compositions. We found that it was too difficult to tech switch into horsemen against archers as ranged focus fire picks off horsemen before they close the gap and deal damage.
- Spearmen now activate the spearwall ability correctly.
- Fixed an instance of the Prelate getting stuck while inspiring and would no longer inspire other units
- Horse Archers now attack slower, fire rate changed from 2.0 to 2.5 (Updated to clarify previous wording)
Developer Note: We’ve noticed a larger issue with attack speeds in general and will be doing a more robust fix in the future to address this issue.
- Horse Archers no longer receive additional attack speed and additional damage from the Incendiary Arrows technology
- Warrior Monks now move 25% slower while carrying a Relic
Developer Note: In congruence with the scout speed reduction, we are making this change to allow more counterplay options against Warrior Monks quickly grabbing up relics on the map.
- Starting wood decreased by 50
(Updated to clarify previous wording)
Developer Note: The Mongol civilization gets off to a fast start by not needing houses and enhanced stone income from the Ovoo. This change is targeted at slowing down the opening and giving enemies more time to muster a defense.
- Outpost cost increased from 70 wood to 100 wood
Developer Note: We found the Outpost rushing strategy to be too low of an investment for Mongols for how powerful and difficult it is to counter. Mongol outposts are still special as they provide the Yam network movement speed bonus.
- Fixed an exploit where it was possible to own multiple Ovoos at the same time
- The Mongol Khaganate Palace can now be packed correctly
Developer note: We have removed the requirement from all Mongol buildings that they must have an empty queue in order to pack up. We feel that this will improve the player experience when attempting to pack and move multiple buildings quickly or at the same time.
- Spearmen now activate the spearwall ability correctly.
- Keep tech times are no longer increased while in the influence of a Mosque
- Piety base research time reduced from 600 seconds to 135 seconds
- Explosives base research time increased from 300 seconds to 900 seconds
Developer Note: This now correctly matches with the other research times of average cost technologies in Imperial Age. Technology research times for the Delhi Sultanate are based on their power level and the age that the technology is available in.
- Chaser Cannons base research time increased from 450 seconds to 1350 seconds
Developer Note: This now correctly matches with other research times of highly expensive technologies in Imperial age.
- Hardened Spearman base research time reduced from 210 seconds to 105 seconds
- Sanctity base research time reduced from 300 seconds to 210 seconds
- Herbal Medicine base research time reduced from 300 seconds to 180 seconds
- Honed Blades base research time reduced from 1350 seconds to 300 seconds
- Fire Lancer
- Cost increased from 80F/20W/20G to 120F/20W/20G
- Bonus vs. Ranged unit type removed
Developer Note: We envision this unit as a hit and run raider that’s effective vs buildings, siege and villagers. In addition to this, the current AoE damage is so powerful it can quickly nuke and kill most units! We’ve targeted these changes at making the Fire Lancer overall less cost effective at fighting enemy troops.
- Fire Lancer III
- Health increased from 135 to 155
- Charge weapon area of effect damage will deal now 50% damage to the surrounding enemy units (instead of 100%)
- Torch damage reduced from 51 to 36
- Fire Lancer IV
- Health increased from 160 to 180
- Weapon damage reduced from 15 to 13
- Charge weapon damage reduced from 25 to 23
- Charge weapon area of effect damage will deal 50% damage to the surrounding enemy units
- Torch damage reduce from 55 to 40
We believe Patch 10257 works toward our goal for fair and fun play across skill levels and provides more opportunity to execute at a high level with more of our civilizations. We’ll be keeping an eye out for your response as we continue to fine tune! In the meantime, we’ve already begun to prepare a February patch based on what we’ve seen in the forums and other social channels, as well as our own experiences in-game. Right now, we’re looking into strengthening the Abbasid Dynasty, improving counterplay vs. siege weapons, tuning demolition ships, ensuring elephants and mounted cavalry units no longer attack faster when their animation is cancelled, and a variety of other changes.
You can find Known Issues HERE at any time.
Please note that this list is subject to change and should not be considered a comprehensive list of all the known issues we’re tracking. The above is to inform you of the team’s current priorities, which will change as other issues arise or take precedence.
For the latest updates and announcements, please visit our social channels.