HAPPY NOVEMBER, and HAPPY ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY to AGE OF EMPIRES II: DEFINITIVE EDITION!
For those of you who’ve been with us since November of last year, we’re thrilled to share in this journey with you: exploring new frontiers for the game with never-before-seen content, new systems and features, and sharing the battlefield with you month after month! This past year has been full of projects and improvements to the game; for perspective, here’s just a few of the biggest highlights from the last twelve months:
- 20 Game Updates (now 21)!
- 10 in-game events, including two crossovers with other franchise games!
- 4 new Art of War missions!
- Two new Challenge Scenarios: the Mongol Raiders (which will return) and Barbarossa Brawl!
- Three new Maps based off community favorites: Four Lakes, Golden Swamp, and Land Nomad!
- New Unlocks, Campaign Medals, and Rewards!
- Updated matchmaking to offer unique map pools for 1v1/Team Games and Random Match/Deathmatch!
- Ranked map bans and preferred map selection!
- AI Improvements GALORE!
- New Stats-tracking and Leaderboards!
- …and much, much more!
All of this has been completely FREE for owners of the game, and only begins to lay the groundwork for all that’s yet to come! This month, we’re continuing the game’s growth with another massive update: including an all-new game mode to test your skills, a plethora of fixes and improvements, balance changes to 19 of the 35 civilizations and to 15 different maps, modding enhancements to offer even greater power at your fingertips, and so much more! As always, here’s the tl;dr list:
- New game mode: Battle Royale!
- New seasonal event: The Age of Empires II: DE Anniversary Event!
- New Quick Play functionality: featuring Random Map, Battle Royale, and Empire Wars!
- Various performance and stability improvements!
- Improved wall placement and other quality of life features!
- A plethora of civilization, map, and gameplay balance changes!
- The ‘Prefer Random’ multiplayer option now takes effect if selected by a majority of players!
- New and improved functionality for the Scenario Editor: including new triggers and .xs scripting support!
As always, these changes are based on your feedback over the past months (and, now, year)! We want to offer our sincerest thanks to everyone who continues to entrust us with this franchise and continues to offer ideas as to how we can make it better. To all of you who participated in a thoughtful, meaningful, inclusive, and understanding way over the past year: THANK YOU from all of us at World’s Edge and from the Age of Empires teams! Keep it up and we’ll continue building a game worthy of the RTS crown for the year (and years) to come!
That’s enough from me! We hope you enjoy Update 42848 and all that it brings to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Thanks for helping us get through this past year; we can’t wait to share what we have in store for the next! 😉
—The Age of Empires Team
♦ ♦ ♦
♦ ♦ ♦
Please note that custom mods may not be compatible with the latest game update. If you are experiencing issues launching or playing the game after downloading the new build, try disabling your installed mods before trying again.
Still having trouble? Visit our support site!