Wololo, Age gamers!

This is a super-emotional letter for me because I’ve been wanting to write it for nearly 10 years. Like many of you, I loved the original Age of Empires, and as Ensemble drove the Age of Empires games forward, I loved them even more. Matt Booty, Phil Spencer and I have spent a lot of time reminiscing about Age’s past, and plotting the future for this limitless franchise. Working with partners like Relic, Forgotten Empires, and Tantalus, we’ve taken a 2-prong approach to revisiting Age of Empires: Honor the past, and bring the games into the future.

…we’ve taken a 2-prong approach to revisiting Age of Empires: Honor the past, and bring the games into the future.

Today is an important day for us! All of the Age of Empires teams have been working hard toward today, XO – the day we not only launch Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, but we also start the long (very long!) series of reveals about Age of Empires IV. Hope you all enjoyed the show, and that you’re as excited as we are about the future for Age.

In June, we announced that we’ve built a studio dedicated to all things Age. Yesterday, we announced the name: World’s Edge. Why “World’s Edge”? Because we love the fact that Age of Empires is about exploring without limit. Human history has so many stories to tell, RTS gameplay has plenty of depth yet to find, and you – the Age of Empires community – have unending passion for the game.

And so finally it is to you, the Age of Empires gamers, that we extend tremendous gratitude and thanks. You are global, you are vocal, you have dedicated your time and energy and passion to the Age of Empires games, and we’re thrilled to be in the game with you. My friend Adam Isgreen likes to say that Age is Human, Global, Impactful, and Enlightening. These words also describe you! Thank you for your support and your attention.

Hope you all enjoy the relaunch of our greatest legacy game yet, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Hope to see you online, comp-stomping, PVP’ing, and streaming campaigns and mods.

XO

Shannon Loftis
Studio Head, World’s End Edge

By the way, you might have noticed during the XO19 broadcast that our studio name is listed as “World’s End.” I’m so happy to let you know that we’ve pulled back from the brink! Humanity is saved! And the *actual* name for the new studio is “World’s Edge.”

• primusdedumo December 1, 2019

I woke up this morning with a message about the new AoE video, and I love the fact that you are keeping it in the true AoE spirit. Games with focus on gameplay, and replayability. Plus its the genre and time period I just love! I look forward to the updates and sharing them with my community!

• nevesson November 25, 2019

Congratulations for all the team! Please continue the awesome job!

• dswriterv November 23, 2019

Congratulations on the start of World's Edge! I hope you guys get to work on Age of Empires games for a long, and fruitful time.

As a game designer myself, I hope to get a chance to work here some day. Age of Empires is my love, and to work on it would be an incredible opportunity. Who knows what the future will bring? :D

• photopro001 November 23, 2019

Way back in the beginning, I got customers hooked on the series and is has made lifelong friends for me!
    Please let us know a realistic release date.

• divine-boon November 22, 2019

Glad to see something brand new with the potential for more heading forward. Remakes can be fun but ultimately the franchise needs to move forward to have success.

• karadjordjexb1 November 19, 2019

What about Age of Empires IV?
    Wherever you search online, it says release date 14th November. All I know is that it was not release, but just a reveal that they are working on it.

And everything is concentrated to Age of Empires II. Is this because once again we have to wait the fourth edition for over than 2 years?

• iamdalv November 17, 2019

We love you, Shannon!

• mehkind November 17, 2019

I love her more!!!!

• sordidflyer5515 November 17, 2019

So glad to see the rebirth of this series , i grew up playing age of empires and it always stayed in my heart.I also hope you will deliver a beautiful definitive edition or at least remastered of age of empires 3 which has been my favourite AOE.Hopefully just like Aoe 2 era is being brought back in Aoe4 , there will be an aoe 5 soon that takes on the style and ideea of aoe 3.Much love to the devs and the studio , im looking forward for the revival of the age of empires series.

• viaticclub3 November 17, 2019

I hope you do the right thing isgreen. I hope you listen to the fans and are taking criticism well from people that have been following the series over 20 years.

• deltaforcexv November 16, 2019

OMG I am so excited for the reveal of AOE 4, cant wait to play it, but i also cant wait for the AOE 3 remaster to come out also. Thank you for making us the age of empire series, not only i grew up playing your guys game. Much love.