Editor’s note: We’re aware of some intermittent server issues impacting match connections that were encountered and are unrelated to this patch. You can follow our investigation here.
Welcome to yet another exciting update for Age of Empires IV! We’re rolling out some refinements for how commands are queued, tooltip improvements, plus some nice quality-of-life bug fixes.
We also heard you’ve been asking for more communication around Ranked, so that’s what we’re bringing you! As we near the end of Season Two on October 24th, you’ll see a new countdown timer in the Ranked tab, as well as in-game news notifications that the season is ending 4 weeks, 2 weeks, and 1 week before the season ends. Keep a look out for those!
Thanks again to our amazing community members, all of whom have helped to make Age of Empires what it is today!
—The Age of Empires Team
NOTE: After this update, you will no longer be able to utilize replays and saves from previous updates. While we do our best effort to minimize impact on saves, Campaign and Skirmish saves from the previous patch are impacted and will no longer be accessible after you update. Campaign progress will NOT be lost with this patch update.
Ranked Seasons Communication Improvements
- Added a countdown timer in the Ranked screen which displays the amount of time until the season ends.
- Ranked season rewards earned from last season can now be viewed during the offseason.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the rank list from displaying the previous season’s rank during the offseason.
- Added setting for how commands are queued:
- End On Release: stop appending new commands when releasing the modifier key.
- Classic: only stop appending new queued commands with Right Click or ESC.
- The Cancel Construction hotkey is now remappable to a new keybinding under the Fully Remappable Layout.
- We’ve made some changes to help address issues with matchmaking into team games using Ranked or Quick Match.
- Fixed an issue where non-military units were being included in the Military Units timeline graph in post-game stats.
- A new “Economy Count” category is added to display the total population of the following units:
- Fishing ships
- Imperial Officials
- Fixed an issue where death animations wouldn’t play for most units if they died in shallow water.
- Abbasid Dynasty and Delhi Sultanate Mills’ tooltip corrected to reflect that the +100 bonus to Berry Bushes is a flat bonus and not a percentage.
- Economic Food Technologies’ tooltips updated to specify that the bonus does not apply to hunted meat.
- Abbasid Dynasty Camel Riders’ weapon tooltip corrected to specify that it has bonus damage vs. siege engines.
- Fixed an issue where Barbican of the Sun did not display springald and cannon windows when upgraded with those emplacements.
- Fixed an issue where Delhi Sultanate Elite Archer research time was being increased by 15x instead of the intended 12x.
- Hisar Academy’s tooltip updated to specify the bonus food income it provides: +10 Food per minute per technology researched (not including emplacements).
- Fixed an issue where Royal Bloodlines would not apply to newly created units if the university that researched the technology was destroyed.
Holy Roman Empire
- Fixed an issue where the Regnitz Cathedral was unable to use Emergency Repairs when built within a Town Center’s Influence.
Khan Maneuver Arrow’s tooltip corrected to describe increasing movement speed by 33% instead of 0.5 tiles/second.
While we believe the fixes made in this build should help improve team-game matchmaking issues, we’ll be keeping an eye on the results of this fix to better understand what additional work may be needed. If you continue to run into issues with matchmaking into team games, please reach out to the Age Customer Support team and make sure to provide your warnings.log files! We’re also investigating issues with significant chat delays occurring in some instances and hope to follow up with improvements in a future release.
What’s on the Horizon
As we shared during gamescom 2022, we have two new civilizations – the Ottomans and Malians – coming to Age of Empires IV on October 25th! Not only that, but you’ll be able to try them out during our next Public Update Preview, along with upcoming changes to Naval and a sneak peek of some of the items previously shared on our Community Roadmap.
Please note that this list is subject to change and should not be considered a comprehensive list of all the known issues we’re tracking. The above is to inform you of the team’s current priorities, which will change as other issues arise or take precedence.
For the latest updates and announcements, please visit our social channels.