Happy 2020, everyone! The first build of the year comes with a handful of fixes for issues that arose in the massive December Update (Update 34055) or which crept into the game with its first Hotfix (34223). It includes the return of major performance fixes introduced (initially) with last month’s build, a fix for the “Castle Age Crash” which kicks players out of the game as they’re Aging-up, as well as new fixes for issues that have been prevalent subjects of discussion amongst the community.
And as always: once you’ve had the opportunity to play with the new build, we WELCOME your feedback!
A Note on Game Issues
Crashes, disconnects, and bugs are frustrating—both as players and as developers of the game. It’s impossible to anticipate every problem, which is why we will continue working with you to gather information, gain an understanding the issue, and hopefully find a solution that gets you online and playing. Sadly, these issues don’t always come with a simple fix, which is why we ask that you gather and include as much information as possible whenever you report a problem!
Finding a fix can also take time, and we appreciate your patience as we work to investigate, test, and implement new improvements during the early months of the game! We’re already working on a new, major content update aimed for later this month, and will continue to monitor your discussions as you have time to play with today’s build!
Plenty more to come, but for now: Enjoy the update!
—The Age of Empires Team
♦ ♦ ♦
- Fixed a crash that could trigger when upgrading to a new Age—most notably to the Castle or Imperial Age.
- Fixed a crash triggered when loading into a match as a spectator.
- Fixed an issue that was impacting some of the prior performance gains initially released with the December Update.
- Fixed a bug that allowed units with minimum range attacks to pass through obstructions.
- Fixed a bug that prevented certain battle audio from playing on machines with Vsync enabled.
- Fixed a visual bug that prevented control group numbers from displaying next to grouped units.
- Fixed a visual bug that caused the banned map cross to disappear after queuing for a ranked match.
- Fixed a bug that prevented music mods from working in-game.
Issues After Updating
NOTE: Some users have mentioned that their game no longer launches after the update. If you were able to play previously, make sure you add your Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition client as an exception to your firewall and antivirus programs. More information can be found here.