HAIL, MYTHICAL HEROES! After a month of previewing the latest changes to the game, we are incredibly excited to officially introduce the next major update for Age of Mythology: Extended Edition: UPDATE 2.8!
With the help of the community, we’ve pulled together a long list of much-desired fixes, balance changes, gameplay tweaks, and even some all-new surprises to satisfy your Myth needs! The team even added some additional features thanks to the feedback we received during the 2.8 Patch Preview; so to everyone who took the time to play, discuss, or even experimented with a beta build for the first time: YOU ALL ROCK!
Obviously we recommend that you take the time to read through the full change log, below—if only to make sure you’re equipped and prepared to face the new battlefield. But for those who want to jump right into the action, here’s an overview of the major changes you’ll see in the latest version of the game:
- Implemented various Performance and Stability improvements!
- Desync Fixes for several unique issues!
- A Boatload of Balance Changes!
- A Plethora of Gameplay Tweaks!
- NEW Map: Blue Lagoon!
- Several new Cheat Codes!
- Expanded Scripting Functionality for Modders!
- …and more!
Once you’ve had a chance to play with the changes, let us know what you think; visit our official gathering spaces to meet others, chat, organize games, and share your experiences with the new and improved Myth.
Remember: if you participated in the Patch Preview, don’t forget to opt-out of the Myth BETA so you can multi-play with the rest of the community! Again: a huge thanks to everyone who continues to support the game with their feedback and time! We hope you enjoy these latest changes and continue to discuss what you’d like to see in the FUTURE for Myth!
As always: stay safe, wash your hands, wear a mask, GAME ON, and PROSTAGMA! ❤
—The Age of Empires Team
♦ ♦ ♦
♦ ♦ ♦
Having trouble downloading or playing the build? Visit the official Age of Mythology forums.
NEW CONTENT & FEATURES
- A new map is now available in the Random, Random All, and Random Land Map pools: BLUE LAGOON!
A new cheat code has been added for Age of Mythology: Extended Edition owners:
- WRATH OF CYCLONE: Turn all your units into mighty Titans!
Several new cheat codes have been added for Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon owners:
- POWERS FROM DIYU: Grants four random god powers! (Similar to ZENOS PARADOX from The Titans expansion.)
- BLESS ME FU XI: Spawns all Tale of the Dragon heroes at your Town Center! (Similar to ATLANTIS REBORN from The Titans Expansion.)
- TITANIC: Titans can walk in water!
- WOLOLO: Chinese Monks ♪ wololo ♪ in joy when they convert enemy units!
- Fixed a memory leak caused by improperly-defined audio files.
- The game no longer crashes when exiting a match as an observer while a god power countdown is active.
- Converting units into units with the ability to auto-gather resources (i.e. cows) no longer crashes the game.
- Converting units into an object without an AI controller—such as a relic—no longer crashes the game.
- The noPregameScenario modifier no longer crashes the game by attempting to divide by zero.
- Fixed a crash tied to unit pathing where memory would be called before it was allocated.
- Optimized the way desyncs are checked per unit, thus improving the performance of multiplayer team games and large maps.
- Improved how multiplayer lag is mitigated by dropping frames earlier for lower spec machines. This should improve the experience for everyone rather than limiting the frames to the player with the slowest computer.
- Increased the terrain cache size, thus increasing the performance of the game when zooming in and out.
- Improved the render frame scheduling to prevent the occurrence of v-sync stalls.
- Fixed an issue where players would experience heavy lag spikes from Steam calls that would occur during the game.
- Fixed an issue where giant maps would lag due to Wave audio calculations.
- The “Random” god selection option is now fully random and no longer considers other gods on your team.
- Added a new settings option to display a unit’s health when it is being damaged.
- Added the ability to drop off relics in an allied player’s temple.
- Added the ability to repair any allied structures that are not flagged with the NoAllyRepair flag. (Currently, only the Wonder has this flag.)
- Players can no longer “foundation scout” unfinished Town Centers beneath the Fog of War.
- Resources hidden by the Fog of War now display the proper (gather) mouse cursor if they’ve since been depleted but not re-scouted.
- Huntable animals will always be displayed with full health (rather than their current health) when concealed by the For of War.
- Huntable animals are no longer detectable behind the Fog of War layer by using group selection.
- Loading a save game will no longer result in Gardens generating all resource types.
- Unfinished buildings that are part of a control group will no longer prevent the use of hotkeys to create units.
- Buildings are no longer constructed slower if the initial builder is garrisoned.
- God powers can now be properly cast on flying units at the edge of the map.
- Blessed Construction: Fixed an issue where the power would only work on a single building when multiple were selected.
- Geysers: Can now be spawned beneath mobile units.
- Fixed certain exploits related to the Hesperides Tree and Dryad units.
- Inferno: When choosing targets, units will no longer be selected after reaching the unit damage cap. This allows it to continue damaging buildings when the unit damage cap has been reached but the building damage cap has not.
- Inferno: Reworked to now respect damage limits.
- Sea Snakes no longer show up as idle military.
- The Spiders god power can no longer be used to activate campaign triggers or the Sudden Death countdown.
- War Salamanders no longer path off the map to bypass obstacles or cross cliffs.
- Implemented a potential fix for units pathing into objects such as gold mines.
- Fixed an issue where hotkey customizations would not save properly, causing both the custom and default configurations to be active at the same time.
- Fixed an issue where SHIFT+clicking to queue attack commands would result in the army moving to where the enemy units were killed.
- Fixed an issue where melee units would ignore their queued attacks on buildings if under attack.
- Fixed an issue where Levy, Conscripts, and other technologies that increase training speed could remove a unit from the build queue.
- Unfinished Isis monuments no longer block god powers when something in the world is converted.
- Fixed the Auto Queue only activating on a single building when multiple were selected.
- Fixed various issues where players could be kicked from their game for not owning DLC-specific units.
- AI-controlled players will now properly unload units as a group rather than one at a time.
- Textures and particle effects with partial transparency will now render correctly (i.e. Locust Swarm).
- Fixed the rendering of environment cube maps (i.e. Shiny Scarab, Battle Boar, Kraken, and Implode Sphere).
- Fixed an issue where particles would display the wrong colors, and meshes would use additive blending (i.e. Rainbows, Phoenix, and Phoenix Eggs).
- Fixed Skybox not working when displayed at 4k resolutions due to the far z-plane not being set properly.
- BRG models now support up to 60k vertices (previously, the limit was 10k).
- The animation viewer dummy axis now renders properly.
- Texture blending for frosted and petrified units now works properly on units with alpha.
- Specular is now correctly applied to units and terrain.
- Fixed point lights not being set to attachpoint position.
- Fixed attachpoint positions when units are scaled.
- Fixed units not maintaining their scale when beneath the Fog of War.
- Doubled the opacity of Fish to make them easier to see.
- Fixed the display of Siege Tower shadows.
- Implemented a potential fix for the “white and invisible” unit bug.
- Implemented a potential fix for highlighting particles along with highlighting units.
- The main menu music no longer loops indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue where ambient game sounds would fail to play.
- Added ambient sounds missing from the Tale of the Dragon DLC.
- Fixed the description of the Old Atlantis map to clarify that the player does not start on an island.
- Fixed the Regicide description to clarify that the player starts with a Citadel rather than a Fortress.
- Fixed the Sentinel history file to no longer reference a specific number of Sentinels, since it is a variable based on the balance.
- All civilizations can now see how many charges they have of a given god power.
- The Tornado god power now appears on the minimap for its entire duration (and not longer).
- The Locust Swarm god power is now properly displayed on the minimap.
- Kronos can now time shift Markets by clicking the corresponding button in the Market UI.
- Fire Ships now display the correct upgrade in the technology tree.
- Updated all costs in the technology tree to display the correct values.
- Observers are no longer shown the ELO dialog at the end of the game.
- The Ox Cart’s research queue is no longer ignored by the production tab of the Observer UI.
- Fixed the auto-queue not displaying when multiple buildings are selected.
- Removed in-game settings for Twitch.tv, as they are no longer supported.
- Fixed the “z” order of some UI elements so they display properly.
- The Oracle Bone Script and Landlord Spirit technologies now use the correct modifiers.
- Monks can now properly attack all units.
- Sea Snakes can now properly attack all units.
- Atlantean Villagers will no longer cease building or repairing structures when converted to a Hero unit.
- The bonus damage dealt by Atlantean Villagers to Set’s Animals is now dealt as a ranged attack rather than a hand attack.
- Automaton: Reduced health from 250 to 230 hp.
- Cheiroballista: Reduced the bonus damage dealt to the Destroyer Hero from 400% to 300%.
- The Lampades’ special attack and the Chaos god power no longer affects: Pegasus, Hippocampus, Raven
- The Lampades’ special attack and the Chaos god power now affects: Hades Shade, Serpents, Sea Snakes, Sentinels
- Onager: Increased crush damage from 13 to 14.
- Reduced the number of Deconstruction charges from 3 to 2.
- The Shockwave god power now correctly affects animals.
- Architects: Removed the pierce armor provided to Sky Passages (was +5%).
- Architects: Removed the pierce armor provided to the Tartarian Gate (was +25%).
- Horns of Consecration: Increased the bonus favor granted per Town Center from 0.01 to 0.02.
- The Volcanic Forge technology now (properly) applies its benefits to Cheiroballistae.
- Fire Lance: Increased pierce damage from 4 to 5.
- Fire Lance: Reduced training time from 15 to 12 seconds.
- The Fire Lance can now properly Garrison.
- Immortal: Increased pierce attack from 6 to 7.
- Immortal: Reduced range from 14 to 13.
- Immortal: Now gains +1 range per Age (to a total of 16 in the Mythic Age).
- The Immortal now gains the benefits of the Golden Peaches and Celestial Palace technologies.
- The Immortal is now trainable from the Castle.
- Monk: Reduced the time it takes Shennong Monks to convert Myth units from 15 to 14 seconds.
- The Monkey King can now properly use its special attack on Earth Dragons.
- Imperial Examination: Now properly affects Towers.
- Imperial Examination: Now works on Settlements.
- Imperial Examination: Reduced the overall duration from 60 to 45 seconds.
- Recreation: Increased the number of villagers resurrected from 3 to 4.
- Great Flood: Now picks up all units it hits.
- Great Flood: Reduced the maximum damage dealt to buildings from 8000 to 4000.
- Great Flood: Reduced the hack damage dealt over time from 2.5 to 1.5 per second.
- Dragon Scales: Now applies its benefits to Heroes.
- Golden Peaches: Increased the health bonus granted to units trained at the Castle from +20% to +25%.
- House Altars: Reduced the food, wood, and gold required to research the technology from 150 to 100. Increased the Favor cost from 10 to 15.
- Landlord Spirit: Can now also be researched in the Temple.
- The bonus hack damage granted by Set to his animals upon reaching the Classical Age has been reduced from 70% to 35%.
- Chariot Archers can no longer garrison inside Siege Towers.
- Egyptian laborers now construct all wall lengths at the same rate.
- Meteor: Reduced the radius of the impact site from 32 to 25.
- Shifting Sands: Reduced the minimum unit health shifted from 1000 to 400.
- Locust Swarm: Adjusted the placement type from “Area of Effect” to “Place on Unit.” The Locusts will now spawn on the unit beneath the cursor (like Bolt).
- The Slings of the Sun technology now grants Slingers the proper damage bonus against all infantry units.
- Myrmidon: Increased unit speed from 4 to 4.3.
- Myrmidon: Increased unit health from 110 to 120.
- Bellerophon (Hero): Reduced hack damage of the special attack from 70 to 60.
- Hippolyta (Hero): Reduced the speed of her attack animation from 2 to 1.75 seconds.
- Polyphemus (Hero): Increased health from 540 to 700 hp.
- Polyphemus (Hero): Updated his special attack to only target Myth units, though it is now an instant kill.
The Physician has been reworked into the Greek Hero, Hippocrates:
- Available Age: Classical
- Cost: 60 Food and 40 Gold
- Build Limit: 1
- Heal Rate: 7.5 hp/s
- Gains +25% Healing Rate in Heroic and Mythic Ages
- Gains +10% HP per Age, as with other Heroes
- Trainable in the Fortress
- Can gather Relics
- Benefits from Armory upgrades and technologies that affect Heroes
- Underworld Passage: Reduced pierce armor of the structure from 85% to 80%.
- Divine Blood: The benefits of the technology are now properly applied when constructing Towers.
- Divine Blood: Reduced the building rate bonus granted to Villagers from 20% to 15%.
- Bogsveigir: Reduced pierce attack from 7 to 6.
- Bogsveigir: Reduced hack armor from 20% to 15%.
- Bogsveigir: Reduced pierce armor from 20% to 15%.
- Titans are now disabled by default.
- ‘Random Land Map’ is now set as the default map.
- Reduced the Tower build limit from 16 to 14.
- Reduced the Fortress build limit from 10 to 8.
- Reduced the Sky Passage build limit from 10 to 4.
- Reduced the number of starting Villagers for the Atlanteans from 6 to 5.
- Atlantean Villagers now take 20% longer to construct Town Centers in a Deathmatch game (was 10%).
- Reduced the amount of Favor generated per Atlantean Town Center from 0.25/s to 0.225/s.
- Addressed an issue that could result in some players gaining an ELO rank in the billions without first accomplishing the truly mythic feats it would take to do so.
- Fixed an issue where Danish computers would interpret data strings in a unique way that caused the Tornado and Great Flood god powers to desync the game and fail to deal damage to gaia units. (Special thanks to jesper55561 for helping with this one.)
- Players can now properly host maps that were downloaded to the “rm2” folder.
- Fixed an issue with scenarios not transferring properly when hosted from a Workshop mod.
- Fixed an issue where certain lobby options would be disabled when the Scenario game type was selected. The following settings are now unlocked: Locked Teams, Enable Cheats, Difficulty, Handicap, Pause Limit, Titans, Day/Night Cycle
- Fixed lobby connection errors which would result in the invalidation of some game lobbies.
With this update, several fixes for desyncs have been implemented, including:
- “Cinematic mode” desync.
- An issue where players who quit the game early could cause others to desync.
- A “King of the Hill” desync caused when god powers were not properly disabled for all players.
- A rare desync caused when using formations with a group that included villagers.
In addition to these fixes, additional options have been added to guard against desyncs caused by custom mods:
- Players with mods that are prone to desyncing are no longer able to quick-search for a match.
- Added an option to the mods screen to automatically disable any mods that may cause a desync.
- “extendedmechanics.xs” is now considered a desync-sensitive file.
- Added a new proto-unit flag—NoAllyRepair—that prevents allies from repairing the given proto unit.
- Fixed game(patch).cfg being ignored by mods.
- Added populationcap config option to game(patch).cfg.
- Added the following scripting functionality: Adding xsSqrt, xsSin, xsCos, xsAtan, xsAtan2, xsPow, xsFloor, xsCeil, xsRound, xsClamp, xsMin, xsMax, xsAbs, xsStringLength, xsSubString, xsFindString and xsStringToInt
- Added the following trigger scripting functionality: trGetUnitScenarioName, trGetNextUnitScenarioName, rGetTerrainType, trGetTerrainSubType, trGetTerrainHeight, trGetWaterHeight, trCoverTerrainWithWater, trPaintTerrain, trChangeTerrainHeight, trSetCivAndCulture, trGetGPData, trSetGPData, trMutateSelected, trSetSunPosition, trSetCloudData, trSetCloudMap, trSetSelectedScale, trSetSelectedHeight, trSetSelectedUpVector,trSetSelectedUnitOrientation, trSetCurrentScenarioUserData, trGetScenarioUserData and trPaintWaterColor
- Adding the following knowledge base functionality: kbUnitGetOwner, kbUnitGetProtoUnitID, kbUnitGetResourceAmount, kbUnitGetResourceType, kbUnitGetSubResourceType, kbUnitGetAnimationActionType, kbProtoUnitIsUnitType, kbProtoUnitGetTrainPoints, kbProtoUnitGetMinimumRange, kbProtoUnitGetMaximumRange, kbProtoUnitGetDamage, kbProtoUnitGetDamageOfType, kbProtoUnitGetArmorOfType, kbProtoUnitGetMaxHitPoints, kbProtoUnitGetMaximumVelocity, kbProtoUnitGetPopulationCount, kbBaseGetUnit,kbNumberGodPowerActive,kbActiveGodPowerOwnerID, kbActiveGodPowerID and kbUnitGetAnimationActionType
- Adding the following ai scripting functionality: aiGetNextGathererDistributionTime, aiSetNextGathererDistributionTime, aiGetUnassignedUnitAssignmentTime, aiSetUnassignedUnitAssignmentTime, aiGetFullUnitAssignmentTime, aiSetFullUnitAssignmentTime, aiUpdateGatherPlanExistence, aiUpdateGatherPlanAssignment, aiUpdateUnitAssignment, aiTaskUnitGarrison, aiTaskSetGatherPoint, aiTaskSpeedUpConstruction and aiTaskUnitEject
- trUnitSelect, kbUnitGetBlockID and kbUnitGetBlockPosition can now execute a backwards scenarioName search, which is a lot faster for units that just spawned.
- The following triggers now work correctly in multiplayer: trUnitTeleport, trUnitSetAnimation
- Updated ModifyProtoUnit trigger to allow population cost to be set to 0.
- AI user variables can now return strings.
We’ve also updated the ModifyProtoUnit trigger to allow the modification of a unit’s movement type:
- Delta of 0: Movement Type None.
- Delta of 1: Movement Type Land.
- Delta of 2: Movement Type Water.
- Delta of 3: Movement Type Amphibious.
- Delta of 4: Movement Type Air.