Counting down for another DLC because you can’t get enough of the Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition campaigns? Want more single player, historic and story driven gameplay? Well we have good news for you!
Community-created content is a huge part of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. We’ve seen everything from visual enhancements, to entirely new Game Modes, and even fully fledged Custom Campaigns.
Today, we’re talking about installing and playing the near endless amount of Custom Campaigns and stories created by the community, ready for you to enjoy. Plus, we’ll give you our top 3 Custom Campaign recommendations to get started!
How To Install a Custom Campaign
Installing a Custom Campaign may look a little bit daunting, but let’s walk through the process step by step. Follow the steps below! We promise it’s easy, just a little hidden.
- From the Main Menu, select the Gear Icon in the top right of the screen, near your profile icon. A new Menu will then appear, select the ‘Mods’ option.
- This will take you to the Mod Manager. From here at the top of the screen, select ‘Browse Mods’.
- Then on the right of the search bar, you have a drop-down menu you can click on to filter the type of mods being shown. Click the Campaigns option.
- Now you have a gigantic list of all the community created Custom Campaigns and scenarios available to be downloaded and played. You can sort these by clicking on the Name, Date Created, Last Updated or DL (Download) text. If you’re just getting started, we recommend sorting by DL.
- When you select a campaign, you’ll get a small description on the right of the screen. Once you’ve found a Campaign you like the description of, while you have it selected, click the Subscribe button at the bottom of your screen and it will begin downloading and installing.
- Once the Campaign has been downloaded and installed, which is indicated by a Tick next to the name, return to the Main Menu. Then select the Single Player option, the Campaigns option and then at the bottom of your screen you’ll see a button for Custom Campaigns.
- Click the Custom Campaigns button and a new menu will open up and you’ll be able to select your newly downloaded campaign. Click on the Select Campaign button, and you’re ready to go!
Now that you know how to install these campaigns, let’s look at some recommendations to get started having fun!
The Golden Horde by BassiAoC
Genghis Khan is dead, but the Mongols ride on! Join Batu Khan’s dauntless warriors and establish the Golden Horde Khanate. Play through intricate puzzles and creative objectives with classic build and destroy Age of Empires gameplay. Invade Russia, subdue Volga Bulgaria, and defeat the Kipchaks!
This campaign does have a small puzzle in the beginning that can be a little tricky if you’re not super familiar with some of the more whacky Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition mechanics. The answer to the puzzle can be found by reading the spoiler tag below
Three Kingdoms Cao Caos Ambition – Part 1 by PhillySouljah
I would rather betray all the people under the heavens than for all the people to betray me.Cao Cao
Dong Zhuo’s death at Lu Bu’s hand has thrown China into chaos. Six warlords fight for China, all attempting to complete their own objectives to prove their right to rule. Can you complete your individual objectives before them, and claim your rightful place as ruler of China?
Struggle for Japan by hammister8159
Feudal Japan awaits you! Take control of one of five possible clans from the Sengoku Period and lead your samurai and ninjas to victory! In a gigantic scenario, you will experience an exciting journey through the world of medieval Japan and try out completely new, exciting gameplay features.
Are you inspired? Now it’s time to start downloading and get playing!
Let us know which Custom Campaigns you’ve enjoyed the most and please leave a recommendation for others to try!