Balance Patch 5.8 Available Now!
We’re thrilled to share that Age of Empires II HD Patch 5.8 is now in Open Beta, bringing a slew of much-anticipated balance changes geared toward competitive play.
Head over to Steam to try out the new balance fixes and join the discussion!
Here’s what’s new:
- (Elite) Elephant Archers +2 archer armor vs anti-archer attacks (from -2 to 0).
- (Elite) Elephant Archers -2 armor vs anti-cavalry archer attacks (from 0 to -2).
- Eagle Scout training time in Castle Age +3s (from 32s to 35s), same as Eagle Warrior.
- Incan free llama bonus is no longer tied to the scout; requires Town Center on nomad-style maps.
- Vietnamese reveal enemy bonus no longer works in full tech tree games.
- Malay infinite fish trap bonus no longer works in full tech tree games.
- Khmer no building requirement bonus no longer works in full tech tree games.
- Teuton team bonus no longer overrides Faith technology in post-imperial age start games.
- Fixed the issue with siege workshops not receiving extra HP and armor in Imperial Age.
- Fixed the issue causing the attack sound of Galleons to not play.
- Fixed the issue with buildings placed on Desert, Cracked terrain not receiving a bonus damage when being attacked.
- Hunting dogs effect no longer appears in games with starting ages later than Dark.
- Villagers and towers do a reduced bonus damage vs walls before castle age.
- Watch Towers, Guard Towers and Keeps cost +25w.
- Siege Tower collision size changed from 0.50 to 0.45.
- Coinage moved up to Castle Age, Banking moved up to Imperial age.
- Couriers cost +200f +400g (from 400f 200g to 600f 600g).
- Italian fishing ship cost bonus reduced to 15% (from 20%).
- Khmer receive Arbalest upgrade.
- Mayan farmers work at closer speed to the farmers of other civilizations.
- (Elite) Arambai cost changed to 80 wood 60 gold (from 55w 60g).
- (Elite) Karambit Warrior cost changed to 30f 15g (from 25f 10g).
- Vietnamese archer HP bonus changed to immediate +20% HP to foot archers. (instead of the staggered effect).
- (Elite) Rattan Archers +5 HP.
- Korean faster building fortifications bonus is reduced for Towers(similar to how the Spanish building bonus is reduced for Wonders)
- Mamelukes receive 5 less damage from Halberdiers.
Here’s how to join the beta:
- Right-click on Age of Empires II HD in your Steam Library and seelct “Properties”.
- Navigate to “Betas”.
- In the dropdown menu, select “open-beta” and then click “Close”.
- Wait for the game to update, then play!
To return to the main branch, follow the above steps and select “None” in step 3.