Hello Age of Empires fans! The past few days were HUGE: not only because they marked the historic arrival of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, but we also took part in X019 in London. This is where the World’s Edge, Forgotten Empires, and Relic Entertainment teams came together to talk about the present and future of your favorite games!
Expand your Definitive Collection
Thursday’s release of Age of Empires II marks the beginning of a brand-new era for the game! If you haven’t already, you can pick up the definitive remaster of the classic RTS on the Microsoft Store, with the Xbox Game Pass for PC, and on Steam:
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on the Microsoft Store
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on Steam
For those of you playing on your favorite supercomputer, you can also check out the Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC. This optional pack adds ultra-high-resolution textures to the game, but is only recommended for those who meet or exceed the minimum specs:
You can also pick up the Age of Empires soundtrack on a huge number of your favorite platforms:
If you haven’t picked up the game yet, what are you waiting for?! Here are just a few of the articles that have emerged out of the X019 release hype:
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition review — Gorgeous new look, more enjoyable than ever via Windows Central
- Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition review – reverent treatment via PCGamesN
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition via Gamereactor
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Review – Returning to the Reign of Kings via Wccftech
- Age of Empires II’s Remaster Kicks Ass via KotakuUK
And all of this is only the start of our journey! This initial release only marks the beginning of a long road for Age of Empires II—a journey that will continue to be guided by your continued passion for the game. The team at World’s Edge will be talking more about what we have in the works soon; for now, enjoy the early days of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition—and don’t forget to come share your experience in with one of our many active communities!
Enter a New Era
While X019 marked the launch of a remastered classic, it wasn’t the only news at the show! Studio Head, Shannon Loftis, took a moment to announce World’s Edge: a group of history-enthusiasts over here at Microsoft dedicated entirely to Age of Empires and you, the community!
- A Letter to All Age Fans! via ageofempires.com
If you were tuned-in, you may have also noticed a special trailer for a different game during the presentation:
A few people certainly did:
- /r/Age of Empires IV subreddit community
- Age of Empires IV on the official forum
- Age of Empires 4 still has four ages, but some civs might break the rules via PCGamesN
Our pre-alpha look at Age of Empires IV may have piqued your interest, but it wouldn’t be the last surprise in store for X019! Along with our friends at Relic Entertainment, the World’s Edge team helped put together a behind the scenes look at the development of Age of Empires IV:
Along with this, World’s Edge Creative Director, Adam Isgreen, sat down with several press outlets to talk about the reveal of the long-awaited project:
- Age of Empires 4 Expands its Era – IGN Live | X019 via IGN
- Age of Empires 4 has a “wide spectrum” of civs, from familiar to very different via PCGamesN
- Age of Empires 4: until the Renaissance, more differences in civilizations and no microtransactions via Archyworldys
After all of this, who isn’t excited to explore a new Age?
Above all else, X019 is about you: the fans! The positivity and excitement of our fans is what makes everything worth the while, and we can’t wait to share more as we continue development on both new projects and the restoration of classic titles!
Come join the rest of the community and tell us about your experiences and dreams for the franchise; World’s Edge is here to stay, and we hope you’re ready for the adventures that lay ahead.
- Age of Empires on Twitter
- Age of Empires on Facebook
- Age of Empires on Discord
- Age of Empires Forums
- Age of Empires on Instagram
Thanks for joining us for X019; we’ll see you at the next historic event!