What a week it has been! As always, E3 brings out the passion and excitement of the community, and this year was no exception! This year, the folks from the newly-created Age of Empires studio at Microsoft Games teamed up with our friends from Forgotten Empires to show off our work over the past year: bringing you a first look, a hands-on demo, and the chance to sign up for the first beta playtest of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition!
The announcement during Microsoft’s Keynote presentation kicked off a flood of news, discussion, and announcements from the event. On the heels of the official gameplay trailer, press and players began discussing and sharing news about all of the new features coming with the game. Here are just a few of the articles you can read to catch up with the conversation:
- E3 2019: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Launching Fall 2019, Beta Coming Soon via Xbox Wire
- Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition and new campaign coming to Xbox Game Pass via Polygon
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition lives up to its title via Destructoid
- E3 2019: Hands-on with Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, Coming This Fall with Xbox Game Pass on PC via The Video Games
- Age of Empires II is coming to Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)! via Xbox Game Pass
- Age of Empires II: HD Edition Won’t Be Taken Off Steam When Definitive Edition Launches via DualShockers
Throughout the week—with the help of the new and official Age of Empires Discord server—players have been doing some speculation of their own. The conversation has been amazing…the hype has been real…and we’ve even managed to answer several questions that caused some concern following the announcement. Here are some of the hottest discussion topics to emerge from E3 this week:
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition at E3 via the Official Forum
- AoE2 Definitive Edition Trailer Breakdown and Screenshots via YouTube
- AOE 2 DE new civilizations revealed! via Reddit
- Age of Empires II DE – E3 2019 – Gameplay Trailer via Reddit
As a final treat, Mixer set aside some time to chat with Microsoft’s Adam Isgreen and Forgotten Empires’ Bert Beeckman about the game. While short, it provided a glimpse at a different experience than the E3 demo:
The week was HUGE for Age of Empires, the development team, and has been the PERFECT way to kick off the transition into the first beta of the Definitive Edition. If you haven’t already, make sure to sign up as an Age Insider for a chance to participate in the first playtest on June 18:
We also know there are still questions that remain after E3: about the Definitive Edition and some of the other projects we have in the works. We hear you, and we’re excited to share more information, teasers, and details as they get further along in development.
- Age of Empires 4 is ‘making good progress’, and Microsoft will talk about it later this year via PCGamer
A huge thanks to everyone who dropped by the booth during E3, who shared their excitement with us on Discord, who helped share the news, and who have been a part of this wonderful community over the past two decades! We can’t wait to see what the journey holds in store for the next two decades!
See you on the battlefield!
— The Age of Empires Community Team