The brand new expansion for Age of Empires II HD, The African Kingdoms, is out now! It comes with tons of new content, including new civilizations, fully voice-acted campaigns, and a brand-new game mode.
4 New Civilizations
- Berbers – Unite the tribes of Northern Africa and set sail for Europe. Can you hold your ground against the scrambled kingdoms of Iberia?
- Malians – Follow in the footsteps of the great Mansa Musa and become the greatest king of Western Africa.
- Ethiopians – Relive the glory of the once mighty Aksumite empire and rule over the Red Sea.
- Portuguese – Set sail for the new world, discover new routes to unknown lands and expand your trade routes to the mighty African empires.
4 New Campaigns
- Fully voice-acted storylines, including a line by one talented fan.
- Tariq ibn Ziyad: Prepare to lead an army of Berbers and Arabs across the sea to Iberia, to defeat the fearsome Visigoths and bring the banners of war to the powerful Merovingian kingdom.
- Sundjata: Said to possess a magical instrument that guarantees victory, Sumanguru, King of the Sosso, is poised to forge a new empire. Can you help Sundjata, the crippled prince of Mali, defy the odds, defeat Sumanguru, and become the most powerful ruler of West Africa?
- Francisco de Almeida: Daring Portugese explorers have returned from India with hope of glories and wealth unachievable in the Old World. Can you lead an armada to the East and forge an empire that spans three continents and two oceans?
- Yodit: When her jealous nephew accuses her of theft, Yodit is forced to flee her home country. Witness how exile shaped this fallen princess into a mighty queen.
New Generic Units and Technologies
- Arrowslits – Increase the power of your Towers and Keeps as they hail arrows down upon your foes.
- Arson – Help your melee units burn enemy buildings to the ground with this new Castle Age research.
- Fire Galley – Bring fires to the attack earlier in the game with this new Feudal Age ship.
- Siege Tower – Hide units inside the tower and help them scale your opponents’ walls.
Sudden Death Game Mode
- Be prepared to defend your town center in this new game mode. Each player only gets one, and if you lose it, it’s game over!
- Improved AI
- 10 New Special Maps
- 8 New Real World Maps
- 5 New Random Maps
- 10 New terrains
- New Scenario Editor Objects
- Twitch.tv Streaming Integration
- Spectator Mode
We are also excited to announce some of the changes coming with the release of the African Kingdoms expansion. Learn more about them below.
AGE2: Patch: Version 4.4
African Kingdoms Expansion:
- The new expansion has been fully integrated into the game.
- The unified lobby has been expanded to support the new game options.
- Non-purchased campaigns/datasets are visible and link to Steam for purchase.
- New civilizations have been added to the multiplayer rotating civilization pool.
- New civilizations have been added to the History page.
- Campaign icons have been integrated throughout the game to show what expansion various options and items come from.
- The red helmet represents Age of Kings.
- The blue helmet represents The Conquerors.
- The green helmet represents The Forgotten.
- The yellow mask represents The African Kingdoms.
- Dataset icons have been integrated throughout the game to show what dataset is needed.
- The single star represents the Original Game content.
- The multi star represents the Expansion content.
- Various icon transparency issues have been fixed.
- Lobby Browser Reset button now correctly resets Dataset back to Any.
- Selecting Spectator in the Lobby no longer locks out player colors.
- Selecting Custom AI now loads correctly.
- Tech Tree unit range is now correctly shown in the help text popup.
- Tech Tree Imperial Camel unit now correctly shows for the Indians.
- Tech Tree Dock units now correctly line up with their upgrades.
- Loading screens now display game setup information.
- Hot keys have been updated to include new units and Palisade Gates.
- Hot keys should now be showing up correctly and not as question marks.
- Hot keys should now be saving correctly when changed.
- Music/Master volumes no longer alter your PCs mixer setting.
- Full Screen Desktop option now updates correctly when selected.
- Record Campaign Games is now an option.
- DLC options are now selectable when creating a scenario.
- Units, triggers and terrain filter appropriately based on DLC options.
- Testing a scenario no longer records a replay.
- Scenario Details have been added to the Save Scenario Screen.
- Campaign Editor Screen has been updated with UI improvements.
- Campaign Editor now correctly displays the scenarios within a Campaign.
- Many missing strings have been added across all languages.
- Various cut off issues have been fixed by shortening strings or increasing the text field.
- Some grammar, spelling and formatting issues have been fixed.
- In game Help text should now be displayed correctly for all units.
- In game modded taunts are now correctly displayed in the chat window.
- In game Diplomacy help cursor now functions correctly.
- In game the Chinese civilization now correctly starts with 6 villagers.
- Completing a Campaign scenario now correctly returns to the Scenario Selection screen.
- Restarting a Replay now functions correctly.
- Deleting a Saved Game or Replay no longer selects the top entry.
- Game Details have been added to the Load Saved Game Screen.
- Game Launcher should now function correctly for Windows 10.
- Script error reporting for RMS has been improved.
- 1000 win achievements have been removed.
- Pre-order achievement has been expanded to include early adopting so purchasing either expansion with in the firstfew weeks of launch grants theachievement.
- Knights +20% HP changed to Cavalry +20% HP.
- (Elite) Throwing Axeman +0.1 speed.
- Cavalry Archers cost -10% Castle Age/-20% Imperial Age (instead of -25%/-30%).
- Marauders cost changed from 500f/200g to 300w/200g.
- Couriers now gives +1/+2 armor instead of +10% movement speed.
- Receive Keep.
- Receive Guilds.
- Receive Block Printing.
- Receive Thumb Ring.
- Slingers no longer require castle.
- Villagers cost -10% Dark, -15% Feudal, -20% Castle, -25% Imperial Age (5% extra per age).
- Receive Guilds.
- Receive Ring Archer Armor.
- Elephant Archer +30 HP.
- Elite Elephant Archer -20 HP.
- (Elite) Elephant Archer -1 pierce armor.
- (Elite) Elephant Archer -10 food (now costs 100 food, 80 gold).
- Condottiero no longer require castle.
- Condottiero +1 attack, +0.2 speed.
- Receive Hussars.
- Pavise now affects all Foot Archers (instead of just Genoese Crossbowmen).
- Pavise cost changed from 550f/300g to 300f/150g.
- Advancing to the next age 15% cheaper (instead of 10%).
- Yasama cost changed from 400w/300f to 300w/300f.
- Turtle ship no longer requires Castle.
- Panokseon cost changed from 400w/400f to 300w/300f.
- Obsidian Arrows now do +6 damage instead of +4.
- Resources lasting longer reduced from 20% to 15%.
- Farming rate fixed to 1.31 rather than 1.18. Actual farming rate is now at +15% (+15% after wheelbarrow, +5% afterhandcart).
- Missionaries no longer require castle.
- Inquisition cost changed from 400f/400g to 300g/100f.
- Ironclad cost changed from 500w/350g to 400w/350g.
- Longboats no longer require castle.
- Longboat cost restored to 100w, 50g (original AoC cost).
- Chieftains cost changed from 700f/400g to 400f/300g and effect +1 bonus attack.
- Eagle warrior upgrade cost changed from 300f/200g to 200f/200g.
- Eagle warrior speed from 1.1 to 1.2 (Eagle Scout is 1.1, Elite Eagle Warrior is 1.3).
- Eagle Scout available from the Feudal Age.
- Fire Galleys and Demolition rafts newly added to the Feudal Age.
- Siege Towers newly added to the Castle Age.
- Banking and Coinage research time increased from 50s to 70s.
- Banking cost increased from 200f/100g to 300f/200g.
- Coinage cost increased from 150f/50g to 200f/100g.
- Cavalry Archer cost reduced to 40w/60g.
- Trade Cogs carry +30% more per trip.
- Transport ships can carry herdable animals.
- Fire ships +1 armor/+1 ship armor.
- Fast Fire ships +1 armor/+2 ship armor.
- Scorpion projectile size increased (fixes their lack of pass-through damage).
- Camels are no longer classified as ships.