Welcome to another week of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition! Today’s update delivers critical fixes to issues that have prevented people from playing and enjoying the game: including the File Error 12 crash that impacted a subset of players, as well as a Spectator Lobby bug that caused problems when reviewing certain games. We’ve also slipped in a fix for the missing death sound effects for certain units—an issue highlighted by users in the Steam discussions and over on the official forum! Now you can enjoy all the “huuuuugh” and “hyaaaoooo” the game has to offer!
We want to send a HUGE thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share their feedback, issues, and support for the game over the past week! You are the foundation of this project, and we will continue to monitor your wants and needs as we prioritize tasks for the next update and beyond. Likewise, we appreciate your patience as we work through the early launch-day issues!
|💬 DISCUSS: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (Official Forum)
💬 DISCUSS: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (Steam Discussions)
If you are still having trouble connecting or playing the game, you are also encouraged to visit the official Discord server. Our outstanding Community Sages are available to answer questions and point you towards solutions to some of the most common problems:
Finally, with today’s build, the Microsoft Store and Steam builds are once again on the same build and in-sync! This means crossplay will be available between the two platforms—though make sure you’ve checked the Enable Crossplay option under the Game settings menu to take advantage of the feature.
There’s so much more to come; watch for more of what we’re working on in the weeks and months to come!
—The Age of Empires Team
♦ ♦ ♦
◆ HIGHLIGHTS ◆
- Fixed an issue where various units did not produce death sound effects when killed.
- Fixed an issue where the Enhanced Graphics (UHD) option would appear grayed out despite having installed and enabled the DLC.
- Fixed an issue that would cause a File Error 12 crash that prevented the successful launch of the game. The most notable impact was on computers using non-Latin characters.
- Fixed an issue where the Spectator Lobby displayed outdated games which could not be joined.
◆ IN PROGRESS ◆
- We are continuing to monitor the stability and performance of the multiplayer servers. If you are having issues joining or disconnecting from matches, please visit this forum to search for similar issues. Please be sure to include the following details if/when replying to a thread or starting a new discussion:
- A description of the problem
- A description of the steps that lead up to the problem
- Your computer specifications (a .txt copy of your dxdiag report is ideal)
- Any other information that might help us work towards a solution
- We are continuing to monitor player reports related to performance or crashes when running the Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC.
- If you do not meet the minimum requirements to run the DLC, we highly recommend disabling or uninstalling it from your computer.
- If you meet the minimum requirements, please visit the official forum or the Steam discussions to post about your issue.
- Please include a copy of your dxdiag report to aid in the investigation of the problem.
◆ KNOWN ISSUES ◆
- For the latest issues and fixes currently being tracked, please visit our Known Issues support page.
♦ ♦ ♦